A subdomain is a subsection of your website that can exist as a new website without a new domain name. Use subdomains to create memorable URLs for different content areas of your site. For example, you can create a subdomain for your blog that is accessible through blog.example.com and www.example.com/blog
(cPanel >> Home >> Domains >> Subdomains)
This interface allows you to create and manage subdomains for your cPanel account. A subdomain is a subsection of your website that sometimes exists as a subdirectory of your
public_html (document root) directory or your account's home directory. Subdomains use a prefix in conjunction with the domain name. For example, if the registered domain name is
example.com, the subdomain will be
prefix.example.com. You can use subdomains to create unique user accounts for “vanity domains.” This is helpful if, for example, you have a blog, or any other type of website that uses a domain specifically titled for a user.
To create a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Enter the desired prefix in the Subdomain text box.
- Select the desired main domain from the menu.
Enter the home directory for the subdomain in the Document Root text box.
- Enter the search criteria in the Search text box.
- Click Go.
Modify a subdomain
Modify the document root for a subdomainTo modify the document root for a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the notepad icon that corresponds to the subdomain that you want to manage.
- Enter the new file path that you want to use as the document root in the available text text box.
- Click Change.
Enable or disable subdomain redirectionTo enable or disable redirection of a subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the Manage Redirection link that corresponds to the subdomain that you wish to manage.
- If you wish to redirect the subdomain, enter the link to which you want to redirect the subdomain in the available text text box.
- Click Save.
- To disable the redirect, click Disable Redirection.
Remove a subdomainTo remove an existing subdomain, perform the following steps:
- Click the Remove link that corresponds to the subdomain that you want to remove.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the subdomain.
- To keep the subdomain, click No.